Geophysical Institute - the Affiliate of Vladikavkaz Scientific Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences - was established as the Geophysical Center for Experimental Diagnostics in accordance with the Decree of the Government of the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania No. 170 of July 10, 1996, and included in the Vladikavkaz Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Government of the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania by Resolution No. 23/156 of June 19, 2000. It was included into the RAS after the adoption of a new by-law on June 26, 2003.
The main aim of the Institute is to conduct fundamental, exploratory and applied scientific research.
The subject of the Institute's activity is the carrying out of fundamental, exploratory and applied scientific research in geophysics (including seismology, engineering seismology), as well as in related geology (including engineering geology and hydrogeology, lithology, mineralogy), mining.
The main activities of the Institute are:
- Conducting fundamental, exploratory and applied scientific research in the following areas:
Hazardous endogenous and exogenous processes and associated geological processes;
seismic hazard and seismic risk of urbanized areas;
systems of complex geophysical observations in mountain regions and in urbanized areas;
strained-deformed state of the mountain massif under technogenic intervention;
geological and geophysical aspects of sustainable development of mountainous areas
- Conducting fundamental and applied studies of the deep structure of the Earth's crust of the Greater Caucasus and adjacent territory.
- Conducting fundamental, methodological and applied research in seismic hazard and seismic risk assessment of urbanized territories.
- Creation of systems of complex geophysical observations to investigate the features of the course of various geological and other processes and phenomena.
- Investigation of the mechanisms of interaction and transformation of the physical fields of the Earth on the boundary of the Earth's crust and atmosphere.
- Conducting fundamental and applied research of hazardous endogenous and exogenous processes and associated geological and geophysical processes.
- Development and improvement of the methodology of integrated water resources management and water management complex in the context of complex natural and technogenic environmental factors.
- Development of high-tech recording and measuring devices for monitoring of catastrophic endogenous and exogenous processes.
- Development of new approaches in geoinformatics, development of methods for processing large volumes of geological and geophysical information and technology of geographic information systems (GIS).
- Modeling the negative consequences of climate change and possible environmental disasters of natural and technogenic nature for terrestrial ecosystems of various types.
- Prognosis of hazardous glaciological processes development in conditions of global climate change.
- The organization of a telemetric information transmission system in the investigation of hazardous natural and technogenic processes in mountainous regions.
- Creation of a theory of risk management of various nature and development of methods for their mitigation in mountain areas.
- Establishment of interrelations between geological-geophysical, geo-ecological and geomedical aspects of the territory development.
- Conducting fundamental and applied research of volcanic, paleovolcanic and postvolcanic processes in the North Caucasus and beyond.
- Conducting fundamental and exploratory research in the field of obtaining and using geothermal and other alternative energy sources in the Central Caucasus and beyond.
- Implementation of publishing activities, including the publication of scientific journals, proceedings, articles, textbooks, teaching aids and teaching materials, including electronic ones.
- Cooperation with higher educational institutions on the issues of scientific research, information support of the educational process and training of personnel.
In 2004, the Institute opened a postgraduate course in specialties 25.00.10 - "Geophysics, geophysical methods of prospecting for minerals" and 25.00.36 - "Geoecology". In recent years, 8 candidate dissertations have been defended.
Since 2006, on the basis of the Geophysical Institute, the integrated educational structure “The Basic Department of Applied Geophysics of the Mining and Geological Faculty of the North-Caucasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (NCIMM (STU)) in Geophysical Institute (GPI) VSC RAS”. The head of the basic department is Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, prof. Vladislav Zaalishvili.
In order to maximize the potential of the GPI VSC RAS and NCIMM (STU) in the field of training specialists, raising the level of skills and increasing the volume of research carried out jointly, a scientific and educational center (SEC) “Geoengineering” has been functioning since 2006.
The Institute has a modern material and technical base, including unique high-precision and high-tech equipment (Scintrex CG-5 Autograv gravimeter, Lennartz-Electronic LE-3D / 20S seismic receivers, laboratory disintegrator, etc.), which allows to conduct research at the world level.
In 2009-2013 years. The Geophysical Institute performed research for government needs within the framework of the Federal Target Program “Scientific and Scientific Pedagogical Staff of Innovative Russia” for 2009-2013 on the topics “Research and development of innovative technologies for combined mechanochemical activation of metal recovery from substandard raw materials” (“Conducting scientific research by teams of scientific and educational centers in the field of geology, mining”), “Development of new methods and tools for assessment of seismic hazard of soils under strong seismic loadings” (“Conducting scientific research by teams of scientific and educational centers in the field of geophysics”).
GPI is the founder and main organizer of international scientific events on the investigation of seismic hazard, hazardous natural and technogenic geological processes, industrial and environmental safety: International scientific-practical conference “Hazardous Natural and Technogenic Geological Processes in The Mountain and Foothill Territories of the North Caucasus” (2007, 2010 , 2012, 2014); (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013), the Regional School of Engineering Seismology (2010, 2012, 2014), the annual scientific seminar “Hazardous Natural and Technogenic Geological Processes” (2003-2014), regular youth seminar “Fundamentals of Geophysics, Engineering Seismology and Physical Fundamentals of Earthquake Engineering” (2003-2014), etc.
For the period 2008-2015 Geophysical Institute received 38 Russian patents, 5 certificates of state registration of computer programs for educational computer programs and 10 certificates of state registration of databases.
In 2010, the Institute was awarded the gold medal of the International Specialized Exhibition “Innovations for the Mountain Climatic Resort of Sochi” and two gold medals “"Innovations for investments to the future” in the competition for innovative products of the American-Russian Business Union within the frame of “Golden Galaxy” program.
In 2010 -2014 years at the XIII-XVI Moscow International Salon of Inventions and Innovative Technologies "ARHIMED" competitions, by the decision of the international jury the Institute's development, were awarded 6 gold and two silver medals.
The Institute was awarded two cups of the Salon "For the Development of Invention in the Region", the Cup "Star of Bahrain", and the Director of the GPI Zaalishvili V.B. Was awarded the Order "Golden Archimedes" and the gold medal of the delegation of Serbia “Nikola Tesla” “For the Great Contribution to the International Development of Science and Technology”.